Great location … two minute walk to the Royal College of Music, the Royal College of Art and Imperial College.
Queen Alexandra’s House, originally called Alexandra’s House, was founded in 1884 by Sir Francis Cook Bt., to provide accommodation for women students at the Royal College of Music, Royal College of Art and Royal College of Science. The House has kept to Sir Francis’ original intention, but the fields of study have widened to include many other subjects.
In many ways the House has not changed much since 1884 and the homely atmosphere still prevails. Queen Alexandra’s House is a purpose-built Grade II listed building.
In its early years the House received donations from eminent Victorians who believed in its aims. Most notable was Henry Doulton. The entrance hall, drawing room and dining room all contain fine examples of his work.
Queen Alexandra’s House is entirely self-supporting and receives no subsidy.
A building of historical significance
Queen Alexandra’s House is a Victorian building of historical and architectural interest. An example of free Jacobean/Queen Anne revival style, it was designed in a similar era as the Royal Albert Hall and forms part of the original South Kensington complex of concert hall, museums and colleges.
The dining room is decorated with twelve tile pictures, made by Doulton, depicting music, manufacture and the arts:
The four represent (from left to right) Josiah Wedgwood in his studio, Lambeth High Street (site of Doulton’s factory), Luca della Robbia and Handel at the Foundling Hospital.
In addition to the dining room and the magnificent tiled entrance hall, there is an elegant drawing room with a tiled fireplace by Doulton. For further details please see venue hire.